Potatoes are a staple ingredient for numerous dishes across the globe. In fact, potatoes are the fourth most consumed crop in the world, after rice, wheat and corn. This is because potatoes are easier to grow and cultivate.
This starchy root vegetable is a good source of vitamins C and B6, manganese, phosphorus, niacin and pantothenic acid. You can eat them mashed, roasted, fried, baked, sautéed or as part of a salad or soup.
But as it turns out, potatoes have many other uses outside the kitchen. In fact, they are a staple in big industries. Potato starch is used extensively by textile, wood, paper, pharmaceutical and oil drilling firms as a binder, adhesive, texture agent, and filler.
1. Reduces Puffy Eyes
We all hate to see puffy eyes after waking up in the morning. The puffiness can be due to crying, late night partying, a reaction to eye makeup, excess sleep or watching television for long hours after going to bed.
No matter why you have puffy eyes, potatoes can reduce them successfully. The starch present in potatoes has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce under-eye bags.
- Peel 1 large potato and cut it into slices.
- Chill the slices in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Lie down and place the cold potato slices on your eyes.
- Wait for 10 minutes and reapply again.
- If needed, repeat to make that puffiness go away.
Apart from treating puffy eyes, potatoes help remove dark spots under the eyes as well.
Fades Dark Spots
Potatoes are very effective when it comes to skin care. There are several nutrients and vitamins in potatoes that help keep skin pores clean of dirt, dust and other pollutants.
Plus, the starch and astringent properties in potatoes help reduce age spots and dark spots on your face. It is also good for fading a suntan.
- Slice a raw potato, rub it over your face and let the juice sit for 10 minutes. Rinse your face gently, and pat it dry with a towel. Do this once daily to get rid of any dark spots on your face.
- Make a face mask by processing 1 to 2 raw potatoes in a blender. Add a little lemon juice and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to the paste. Apply it on your face as a mask. Keep this on for about 15 minutes, then wash it all off.Use this face mask once a week.
Absorbs Excess Salt from Food
While cooking soup or stew, you may make the mistake of adding too much salt. Excess salt can spoil the flavor, but this does not mean you need to throw away the prepared dish.
You can use some raw potatoes to absorb excess salt from your prepared food.
- Remove the peel and cut some potatoes into thick pieces.
- Add the raw potatoes to the prepared soup or stew.
- Allow the pot to simmer for about 10 minutes.Remove the potatoes and your dish will have the perfect salt.