Dandruff, also known as seborrheic dermatitis is a common scalp disorder. It can occur due to dry skin, irritated oily skin, growth of bacteria and fungus on the scalp, inflammatory skin conditions and other such factors. It causes itchiness along with excessive formation of dry skin flakes on the scalp.
Dandruff can be controlled by following a healthy hair care routine. You can also try some simple natural home remedies. It is true that natural remedies take time to show results but they can effectively treat the problem completely.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for dandruff.
1. Indian Lilac
The antifungal and antibacterial properties of Indian lilac, also known as neem, help treat dandruff as well as many other hair problems like scalp acne, itchy scalp, and hair fall efficiently.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in four cups of water.
- Cool and strain the solution.
- Use this decoction as a hair rinse two or three times a week.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps eliminate dandruff due to its antifungal properties. It also moisturizes dry scalp and provides relief from itching.
- Take some coconut oil and mix half the amount of lemon juice in it.
- Rub it on your scalp and massage for a few minutes.
- Wash your hair after at least 20 minutes.
- Follow this remedy two to three times a week.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Scalp treatment with apple cider vinegar is effective in getting rid of dandruff. It restores the pH balance of the scalp, thereby inhibiting the growth of yeast. It also works as a natural hair clarifier and helps clean clogged pores and hair follicles.
4. Baking Soda
Being a mild exfoliant, baking soda helps remove dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil. It can also help balance pH levels on the scalp and reduce the growth of fungi that cause dandruff.
- Wet your hair and rub a handful of baking soda onto your scalp.
- After a couple of minutes, rinse your hair well with warm water.
- Repeat once or twice a week for a few weeks.
Note: Do not shampoo your hair after this treatment.
5. White Vinegar
White vinegar is one of the best home treatments for dandruff. Vinegar has acetic acid that prevents growth of fungi on your scalp and relieves itching.
- Add one-half cup of vinegar to two cups of water. Rinse your hair with this mixture after shampooing your hair.
- Another option is massage your scalp with a mixture of two parts white vinegar, one part olive oil and three parts water. After 10 minutes, rinse it off and shampoo your hair using a mild shampoo.
Follow either of these remedies once or twice a week.
6. Olive Oil
Scalp dryness can be cured with regular use of extra-virgin olive oil, an effective natural moisturizer.
- Heat some extra virgin olive oil until it is slightly warm.
- Massage it onto your scalp and then wrap your hair in a warm towel.
- Leave it on for at least 45 minutes or overnight and then shampoo and condition your hair.
- Repeat this remedy a few times a week.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has strong antifungal properties, making it a good treatment for dandruff.
- Simply add a few drops of tea tree oil to your regular shampoo when you wash your hair. Add one drop of this essential oil per ounce of shampoo.
- You can also dilute the oil by adding a few drops of tea tree oil to a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Apply it on your hair, leave it on for at least 30 minutes or overnight and then wash your hair. Do this once or twice a week.