Ashwagandha is an ayurvedic herb supplement of Solanaceae family. Its Latin name isWithania Somnifera and also popular with Hindi name- Ashwagandha, Asgandh and Sanskrit Name- Ashwagandha, Vrah Karni (Boar Ear).
Ashwagandha plant is 1-5 feet shrubby hazel with spherical branches in all directions. Its leaves are 2-4 inch longs with white pore skin and near the flowers the leaves are small and oriented.Ashwagandha flower is of yellow green colour, pipe shaped in bunches.Ashwagandha fruit is of 0.25-0.30 inches diameter roundish shaped like Raspberry shielded inside. Ashwagandha fruit becomes red when ripe and its small reniform smooth and flattened seeds are of yellow colour.Ashwagandha root outer skin is of greyish colour and white from inside like fingers 1-2 feet long. Ashwagandha raw root or mool smell like a horse (Ashwa in Hindi) so it is known as Ashwagandha. Its uses provides strength and virility power like a horse.
Ashwagandha Chemical Composition: Ashwagandha root contains approximately 13 acids like Anahygrine, Anaferine, Trophine etc. It contains 0.13-0.31% acid and also has glycoside, starch, glucose and amino acids etc.
Ashwagandha Health Benefits
- In Goitre, gland inflammation (Adenitis), Asgandh root and leaves paste used.
2. Ashwagandha oil is also used to treat weakness and growing pains due to Vata Dosha.
3. Ashwagandha has also many internal uses and used to treat Unconsciousness, Delusion, Insomnia and Abdominal Disorders etc.
4. Ashwagandha is also good for blood circulation system and use to treat high blood pressure, protuberance, and other blood disorders etc.
5. To treat breathing disorders, Ashwagandha Bhasma is used with natural honey and Ghee (clarified butter).
6. In semen weakness, lekoria and vagina itching or pricking treatment, Ashwagandha is very useful.
7. Ashwagandha is used to treat urinary disorders like Mutraghat.
8. Ashwagandha is also used in TB (tuberculosis), Asthma, Atrophy (Child Atrophy) and Rickets cure treatment.
9. In weight issue or obesity treatment, Ashwagandha is also very useful. Ashwagandha leaves are used to reduce or lose weight and root (Mool) to gain weight.
10. Ashwagandha is also good for skin disorders like Lucoderma.
Ashwagandha root (mool) is the used part of this natural herb. A low dosage of Ashwagandha powder 3-6 gm or in Alkaline form 1-2 gm is used. There are some mainly used ayurvedic drug combinations of Ashwagandha in ayurveda are Ashwagandhadi Churna, Ashwagandharishta, Ashwagandha Ghrita and Ashwagandha Rasayana etc.