Open or large pores on the skin are a beauty concern for many and can also contribute to problems like acne and blackheads, especially for people with oily skin.
Excess sebum, along with dirt and bacteria, tends to clog the pores. To make matters worse, blackheads tend to make pores more visible and look even larger.
Prolonged sun exposure can contribute to open pores because it damages the collagen, thereby reducing the elasticity of the walls of the pore canals.
Here are the some home remedies for open pores.
Ice works as a simple and effective home remedy to help shrink large pores due to its skin tightening effect. It is often used to minimize enlarged pores before applying makeup. It will also stimulate circulation and promote healthier skin.
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and hold it on your skin for 15 to 30 seconds. Do this a few times daily. You can reduce the frequency of use when you see improvement.
- Alternatively, you can simply wash your face with ice cold water once daily.
To enhance the benefits of this remedy, infuse the water for ice cubes with cucumber juice, apple juice, green tea or rose water.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works as a natural astringent and skin toner. Thus, it tightens your skin, reduces large pores, and restores the skin’s pH balance. Plus, it has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat acne breakouts.
- Mix equal amounts of organic apple cider vinegar and water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it to your face.
- Leave it on for a few minutes, and then rinse it off.
- For best results, use this remedy every night after cleansing your face. Follow up with a light moisturizer. You will notice improvement within a few weeks.
3. Egg Whites
Egg whites are also widely used to shrink enlarged pores because they tone and tighten the skin. Egg white masks are also great for drawing excess oil out of greasy skin.
- Simply whisk an egg white and spread it evenly on your face. Allow it to dry completely, and then rinse it off. For better results, after applying the egg white, cover your skin with pieces of tissue paper and peel them off when the mixture dries. Do this once or twice a week on a regular basis.
- Alternatively, whip two egg whites along with the juice squeezed from half of a lemon. Spread it on your face, and leave it on for about 10 minutes or until it dries completely. Rinse it off with cool water. Repeat a few times a week for one month.
- Another option is to whisk an egg white and mix in two tablespoons each of lemon juice and oatmeal. Spread it on your face and allow it to dry for 30 minutes. Finally, scrub it off and wash your face with cool water. For best results, repeat twice weekly for several weeks.