One can also have damaged hair due to certain medical conditions like underactive thyroid, a hereditary problem, malnutrition and anorexia nervosa.
Though trimming is the best way to get rid of damaged hair, you can also try some natural, safe and effective home remedies to help repair your dull and lifeless hair. However, damaged hair cannot be repaired just in a day or a week. It will take time and patience to get the desired result.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil is very good for damaged hair. Packed with fatty acids, several antioxidants and vitamin E, olive oil heals the damaged layers by sealing the cuticle with moisture. It also protects the hair from further damage.
- Apply warm olive oil on your scalp and hair shafts. Massage gently for a few minutes, and then cover your hair with a warm towel. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Finally, shampoo and condition your hair. Follow this remedy at least once a week.
- Alternatively, mix together 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup of honey. Warm this mixture and apply it to your hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes, then rinse it out well with lukewarm water and shampoo your hair as usual. Follow this remedy 1 or 2 times a week.
Being rich in vitamins, fat, protein, essential fatty acids and natural oils, avocado can help repair your damaged hair. Avocado coats and softens the hair to keep it hydrated and flexible. It can also prevent free radical damage to your hair in the future.
- Depending on the length of your hair, mix the pulp of ½ to 1 ripe avocado and 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a blender until you get a thin, smooth consistency. Apply it to your hair, leave it on for about 1 hour and then wash it out.
- Alternatively, mash 1 ripe avocado and add 1 egg yolk and enough coconut milk to make a thin paste. Apply it on your scalp and hair and massage it in for 5 minutes in circular motions. Allow it to sit for 1 hour, rinse it off with lukewarm water and then shampoo as usual.
Follow either of these treatments once a week and soon your hair will become healthy.
Eggs can provide nutrients and nourishment that has been depleted from damaged hair. Egg yolks have protein, minerals and essential fatty acids that can nourish the hair strands and impart a natural shine. Plus, the enzymes in egg whites help cleanse your hair and scalp.
- Massage 1 whisked egg on your scalp and hair for a few minutes. Cover with a shower cap and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then, rinse with cool water and shampoo as usual.
- Alternatively, beat 2 eggs along with 1/2 cup of yogurt. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of almond oil and beat again until you get a creamy texture. Massage your scalp and hair with this mixture. Cover your head with a towel for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water and shampoo your hair.
Follow either of these treatments once every two weeks.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is good for repairing damaged hair. Its humectant properties can soothe the hair shaft. It also contains enzymes, amino acids, and vitamins C and E that are good for your hair.
- Apply some aloe vera juice directly on your damaged hair. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Alternatively, mix 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Stir it well and apply it on your hair. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then rinse it off and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Follow either of these remedies once a week.
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is packed full of nutrients that are good for your hair. It easily penetrates deep into the hair shaft, in turn preventing the cuticle from becoming damaged and making your hair healthy.
- Massage your scalp every day, or at least 3 times a week, for about 5 minutes with warm coconut oil. Leave it on overnight. Wash your hair the next morning with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, mix 3 tablespoons of warm coconut oil in 1/4 cup of honey. Blend thoroughly and then apply it on your damp hair. Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Do this 1 or 2 times a week.
Bananas can also help repair damaged hair. The high potassium, fortifying vitamins, natural oils and moisture content in bananas can help soften your hair and improve its elasticity.
- Mash 1 ripe banana and work it thoroughly into your hair. Allow it to sit for 1 hour, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, prepare a hair mask by blending together 2 overripe bananas with 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil, honey and olive oil. Apply this paste on your hair, leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.