In common language, it is known as “fever blisters” that appear around the mouth area usually near the lips. The skin around the blisters gets red, tender and swollen. It takes normally 2 week to completely heal up. It leaks the liquid when get opened. It is caused by the herpes simplex virus that enters in to the body through the break in the.
It is contagious which spread through close personal contact like kissing, sharing razors or utensils etc. it is normally caused due to weaken immune system or in response of intense tension or stress. For this normally antiviral medication is suggested.
Cold Sores Causes:
The root cause of cold sore is the presence of herpes simplex virus (HSV-1). When it burst out, the fluid comes out of the blisters through which virus can easily spread to others. Other than that it can easily transmitted through sharing utensils, personal things like razor, towel etc., kissing.
Reoccurrence of the cold sores is normally due to:
- High fever
- Disturb menstruation cycle
- Exposure to sun
Cold Sores Symptoms:
Cold sores appear in form of blisters and erupt near the lips that go through following stages
- Feeling of itchiness and burning for at least 2 weeks till the time it burst out
- It appear normally on the edge of the lips that meet with the skin of the face
- When they burst out, they leave shallow open sores that take times to heal up. After that, a crust appear on it
Hereunder some symptoms are listed which may appear in case of blisters ranging from minor to sever conditions.
- Muscle stretchiness and muscle ache
- Sore throat
- Swollen nodes containing lymph
Cold Sores Remedies:
It takes almost two weeks to completely heal up. For the treatment of cold sores, antiviral drugs are given that mostly contains Penciclovir, Famvir etc.
These are available in form of pills as well as creams to give relieving effect. Pills are more effective and work better than creams. In case of extreme severity, try to consult doctor for proper and accurate treatment.
Precautions for Cold Sores:
- In order to prevent from infectious spread, avoid from personal contact and sharing person items like utensils, towel or razors.
- Some of over the counter creams are available like Docosanol is very effective for cold sores.
- In order to reduce itchiness and tingling effect, better to apply ice or water cloth on the blister.
- When the blisters breakout, clean it with cotton pads or cotton cloth, just to reduce the spreading on the entire lips or mouth
- After the 2 weeks, fluid will ooze out of the blisters and crust appears on the blisters
- Try to avoid expose to sunlight and heat. And if it is necessary, then apply lip balm and sun screen lotion
- When you have cold sores, always wash your hands in order to prevent yourself from infections.
- Try to not to touch sores otherwise it will expand to nearby area
In order to keep you safe and secure from severe infections, try to follow some of the above precautionary measures.