An excess or imbalance of digestive acids produced by the stomach can cause a stomach ache, gas, nausea, bad breath and other symptoms. It is a common problem that affects people of all ages.
Those who suffer frequently from acidity problems may refer to having an “acid stomach.” Eating spicy foods, lack of exercise, irregular eating habits, stress, or drinking alcohol frequently can lead to acidity problems.
Some simple natural remedies can be used to treat stomach acidity. For instance, simply drinking a little water will help neutralize and flush out excess acid from your stomach.
There are many more simple ingredients available in your kitchen or refrigerator that can be used to get relief from stomach acidity.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for acidity.
1. Basil Leaves
The soothing and carminative properties of basil leaves can give you instant relief from acidity, gas and nausea.
- Simply eat some basil leaves at the first sign of acid upset. Be sure to chew them thoroughly.
- Another option is to boil three to five basil leaves in a cup of water and then let it simmer for a few minutes. You can sweeten this basil tea with honey. Do not add milk, though. Sip it frequently.
Cinnamon is good for your digestive health. It works as a natural antacid and helps dispel stomach gas.
- Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water.
- Bring it to a boil and then allow it to steep for a few minutes.
- Drink this cinnamon tea two to three times a day.
You can also add cinnamon powder to your soup or salad.
Another simple home remedy for acidity is buttermilk. It contains lactic acid that normalizes the acidity in the stomach. You can buy buttermilk or make it yourself.
- Grind half to one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds with a little water to make a paste. Mix it in a glass of plain buttermilk, also called chaas, and consume it to relieve stomach ache caused by acidity.
- Or, you can simply drink plain buttermilk several times a day until you get relief. Mix in a little black pepper or one teaspoon of ground coriander leaves for best results.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Though acidic in nature, apple cider vinegar has an alkalizing effect. Thus, it helps treat stomach acidity.
- Simply mix one or two teaspoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Drink it once or twice a day. You can also drink it before meals.
Cloves can help alleviate acidity and dispel gas due to their carminative effect that increases hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Contrary to the popular belief, acidity can be caused due to low stomach acid too.
- Chew two to three cloves thoroughly so that the juices are released into your system.
- Eating crushed cloves and cardamom mixed in equal amounts can help minimize acid trouble and freshen bad breath that often accompanies this problem.
6. Cumin Seeds
Cumin seeds can also be used to treat acidity as cumin works as a great acid neutralizer. Also, it aids in digestion and relieves stomach pain.
- Slightly crush some roasted cumin seeds and stir it into a glass of water. Drink it after every meal.
- You can also boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water, strain it and then drink the water after your meal.
- Another option is to mix one teaspoon each of coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder and some sugar in one-half cup of water. Drink it on an empty stomach.
The anti-inflammatory properties in ginger help treat acidity. Ginger juice can also neutralize stomach acids.
- During acidity just chew a slice of fresh ginger.
- You can also put some fresh ginger slices in a cup of boiling water, let it steep for a few minutes and then drink it.
- Even a spoonful of ginger juice taken two to three times a day can provide relief from acidity.
Jaggery aids digestion and becomes alkaline in the digestive system, thus reducing stomach acidity. You can buy jaggery at most Indian or Asian ethnic grocery stores.
After each meal, suck on a small piece of jaggery until acidity subsides. This remedy is not suitable for people who have diabetes.
Fennel has carminative properties that aid digestion and help relieve stomach gas.
- Simply chew some aniseed after eating a heavy or spicy meal.
- You can also steep one or two teaspoons of fennel seeds in a cup of hot water. Strain and drink it a few times a day.
10. Cold Milk
Milk can help stabilize gastric acids in the stomach and give you relief from acidity. Milk is rich in calcium, which prevents build-up of stomach acid. Simply drink a glass of cold milk to prevent or soothe acidity problems.
Next time you suffer from acidity, try these remedies. If you do not get relief within a day or two, consult a doctor.