The active component in chamomile is known as bisabolol, which has anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It also possesses anti-anxiety, anticancer, anticoagulant, antispasmodic and antidiarrheal properties.
Both the fresh and dried flowers of chamomile have been used to make tea for centuries to cure a number of health problems. To make the tea:
- Add 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers to a cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep for 5 minutes, then strain it.
- Add a little raw honey and drink it while it is still warm.
You can also buy ready-to-use chamomile tea bags.
For use in health and beauty remedies, chamomile is also available in the form of fluid concentrate, oil, tinctures and in creams and lotions.
1. Fights Sleep Issues
If you have difficulty sleeping, drinking chamomile tea can benefit you immensely. The herb works as a mild tranquillizer and sleep-inducer, due to its rich dose of flavonoids that signal your brain to release serotonin and dopamine for a good night’s rest.The herb also relaxes your muscles and nerves, which in turn promote sleepiness.In addition, chamomile is great for sleep apnea, as its anti-inflammatory effects help get rid of obstruction in the airways that cause snoring.
- Drink a cup of warm chamomile tea 1 hour before bedtime to relax your nerves and muscles.
- Alternatively, prepare a massage oil with 1 part chamomile oil and 2 parts olive oil or coconut oil. Massage the back of your neck as well as feet daily before going to sleep.
2. Relieves Headaches
Whether you suffer from tension headaches or migraines, chamomile is a good remedy for quick relief.Chamomile has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and soothing properties that help relieve pain. In fact, drinking chamomile tea regularly can help cut the frequency and severity of migraine attacks.This herb boosts blood circulation while alkalizing your body, which in turn eases you back into a pain-free state.For headaches and migraines, drink chamomile tea 3 or 4 times on a daily basis.
3. Calms Muscle Pain and Spasms
This herb also aids in getting rid of muscle pain and soreness. Chamomile raises urine levels of glycine, a naturally occurring amino acid that helps calm your nerves and muscles.Also, this herb has several flavonoids with anti-inflammatory properties, which have a relaxing effect on the body to facilitate faster healing of sore muscle tissues.A 2010 study published in Molecular Medicine Reports sheds light on several medicinal properties of chamomile, including anti-inflammatory and muscle-relaxing properties.
- Prepare massage oil with 1 part chamomile essential oil and 2 parts of a carrier oil like coconut oil. Use this oil to massage the affected area to get quick relief from muscle pain and spasms.
- Also, drink chamomile tea 2 or 3 times a day to help relax sore muscles.
4. Keeps Stress under Control
Chamomile is an effective herb to help keep your stress level under control. Stress is linked to many health problems, from insomnia to heart trouble.The herb’s calming and soothing nature has a sedative effect on the central nervous system that helps reduce stress and anxiety.A 2012 study published in Phytotherapy Research found positive effects of chamomile essential oil on central nervous system functioning.
- Add a few drops of chamomile essential oil to warm bathwater and soak in it for 15 minutes to soothe your nerves and reduce stress.
- Also, drink 2 to 3 cups of chamomile tea daily.
5. Relieves Menstrual Cramps
Chamomile is also beneficial for females who have to bear the pain of menstrual cramps every month.A cup of chamomile tea can relax the uterus muscles and stop them from cramping during your period. This herb helps release the amino acid glycine, which eases muscle spasms.Its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties also relax the uterus and ease the spasmodic contractions that cause pain during menstruation.A 2005 study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry states that drinking chamomile tea helps relieve menstrual cramps in women by relaxing the muscles of the uterus.Just 2 to 3 cups of chamomile tea per day will help prevent that awful week of painful menstruation.
6. Treats Stomach Problems
The herb chamomile is rich in several essential oils that are beneficial for the digestive system. Be it diarrhea, abdominal cramping, bloating, nausea or gas, chamomile will help give you relief.It soothes the intestinal walls, provides relief from sudden pains, and eliminates gas and bloating.Plus, it can reduce stomach inflammation and the risk of ulcers.Drink chamomile tea 2 or 3 times a day to keep your digestive system healthy and strong.As this herb is mild in nature, chamomile also works as the perfect antidote for infants who are often susceptible to colic, diarrhea and fever.