Allergy is a hyperactive response of the immune system to particular substances called allergens. These allergens may be food, pollen, dust, drugs, molds, air-borne, dog, cat, mushroom, soy, gluten, etc. Sometimes, it may be for short times or continue for longer periods. The form of allergy may be from simple to life threatening. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)-Yoga, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Diet, Home remedy, Unani and Siddha, have greater role in the control and management of this disorder.
The important signs and symptoms of this disorder is given below.
- Skin’s itching
- Itchy mouth during swallowing of foods
- rash formation at the point of scratching
- Lips inflammation
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Itching of eyes
- Losing consciousness and dizziness
- Mental confusion
- Irregular heartbeat
- Breathing problems
- Sneezing and wheezing
- Nasal congestion
- Anaphylaxis-quick response to allergen by the body
- Throat tightness
Causes of allergy
- Infectious diseases at childhood
- Food allergies to peanuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, and walnuts etc.
- Latex sensitivity
- Swelling (edema)
- Abdominal cramps
- Shrimp and crab meat
- Foods trigger allergy i.e. eggs, milk, wheat, soy, peanuts and fish
- Bronchial disorders
- Allergic rhinitis
- Hay fever
- Anaphylactic shock and eczema
Allergy risk factors
- Bottle-fed babies
- Allergen exposure at childhood
- Birth coincides with pollen season
- Mother or father suffered with nasal congestion
- Premature birth
- High exposure to allergens- molds spores, dust mites, animal dander, etc.
- Allergy to one food may become the risk of another one.
- Infants are more susceptible
Test and Diagnosis of Allergy
When environmental measures, drugs and medication fail to control this problem, it is better suggested to consult a physician.
- Upper endoscopy
- Skin Test for allergy
- Blood test for allergies-RAST and ELISA
- Food allergy testing
- Patient interview by the doctor regarding food, reaction time, sickness etc.
- Physical examination by a doctor that includes personal and family history and symptoms triggers.
Yoga for allergy control
- Neti like Jal Neti and Sutra Neti reduce allergy symptoms.
- Matsyasana (the fish pose) is a good asana for those people who suffer from asthma, bronchitis and other lungs ailment thereby relieves congestion.
- Sarvangasana (the shoulder stand pose) helps in clearing of exchange of gases through the nasal passage.
- Tadasana (the palm tree pose) improves concentration of mind and develop sense of balance.
- Padhastasana (the foot hand pose) improves concentration and helps to decongest the nose.
- Trikonasana (triangular stretch pose) systematically revitalizes the entire body.
- Padmasana (the lotus pose) induces mental calmness and helps to bring about physical health and mental equilibrium on permanent basis.
- Bhujangasana( the cobra pose) expands the chest more than usual, helping to improve one’s breathing.
- Paschitmoasana (the fierce or powerful pose) tones all the abdominal organs, including the liver, pancreas, spleen, kidney and adrenal glands thus helps to mental calmness.
- Pavan Muktasana( the wind releasing pose) relieves from abdominal ailments associated with malfunctioning of inefficient organs.
- Kapalbhati (frontal brain bellowing) makes the nasal passage clean.
- Pranayama control nasal condition effectively.
- Nadishodhana Pranayama helps to remove congestion or blockage of the Nadis thereby allow the free flow of Prana.
- Anulom Vinolum Pranayama develops consciousness, mental calmness and ease nasal congestion.
- Surya Namaskar energizes the entire neuro-glandular and neuro-muscular system of the body.
Top Ayurveda treatment for allergy
Ayurvedic remedies are effective to manage and treat different forms of allergies. If you are depressed due to acuteness of allergens; herbal supplements, Ayurvedic herbal supplements and Ayurvedic medicine may be given as allergic treatment. Ayurvedic treatments are known natural remedy that not only provide relief, yet boost the immune system. Allergic management through Ayurveda is not a new concept, though Ayurveda as an herbal remedy is getting recognition all over the world. The Ayurvedic approach on allergies is to combat all forms of the condition without any side effects. The following Ayurvedic medicines and simple Ayurvedic suggestions are good for the problems.
- Easily digested food is prescribed for allergic person.
- Through Ayurvedic knowledge, stress and anxiety can be minimized to a greater extent.
- Disciplined lifestyle
- Herbal oil massage also shows good result.
- Panchkarma a wonderful natural Ayurvedic cure for different allergies.
- Ginger root tea is beneficial for respiratory and skin conditions